Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Story of My Life

By: Veronica Martindale

Life is like a book, around every corner there is a surprise. Life gets more exciting every time you turn a page. It wouldn’t be a good book if everything went the way you want it to. In every chapter there is a lesson or event that you need to learn from. Every book is different, and your life is different from everyone else’s. Life is like a book, even though you want to keep going there is always going to be an end.

My life will never be the same again…

The chapter in my life that affected me most was when my grandpa passed away. My grandpa, who I had called “papa” when I was younger, read his book to the last page. The last chapter I spent with him was the best I have ever had. My grandpa loved animals and loved to go to the Tracey Aviary with my brother and I. So when we would go he would just love to sit and watch the birds. My grandpa used to talk to their three cats all the time; he would take them outside to get fresh air and watch them relax. My grandpa’s last chapter was the best one I’ve ever had in my entire book.

I was in my 11th chapter when one day after school while I was walking with my brother to my other grandparents house, I saw my mom’s car in the driveway. Wow I thought why did she get off so early? I walked curiously up to the door, opened it and walked in. My mom was sitting in the living room on the large chair by the window with her elbows on her knees and hands clasped together. Then my grandparents looked at me with sorrow in their eyes and walked outside quick and quiet.

My mom told us to sit down and I looked in her eyes, there were red blotches around her eyes, I smiled hoping to make her happy but it didn’t work. Then she told us…my grandpa was only in his 71st chapter and I in the 11th chapter.

There are plenty of other happy chapters that I should tell you about, but one stands out in particular. One of my favorite chapters is when my sister was born. We had just finished unpacking from our move which seemed years ago, and the next day I had gone to school. My grandma picked my brother and I up from school and told us my mom was going to have my sister today! I was so excited! After my mom had her I couldn’t wait to hold her! My little sister I’ve always wanted!

I was also excited when my little brother was born, but I think my other little brother was more excited than I. My baby brother had the most complicated first chapter, because my step dad went out of town for work one weekend. My brother and I went to our dad’s house but had to come home early because he had something planned. That morning my little brother was born and his dad wasn’t there because of work. The thing is, is that my step dad asked to stay home because the baby was due soon and they didn’t let him.

Life is like a book, it tells the story with an ending you may not like but it has to end. There is always a moral to a story, what’s yours?

1 comment:

Writer said...

Beautiful job! You will be very happy one day to have this experience written down. Comparing it to a book makes it even more relatable.

Ms. L